Effective Date: 7th June 2016
Your consent is important
When you sign up for our products and services or when you enter into any commercial transactions with VMS, you may be required to provide VMS with your personal data.
You have the choice, at any time, not to provide your personal data/sensitive personal data or to revoke your consent to VMS processing of your personal data/sensitive personal data.
However, failure to provide such personal data/sensitive personal data or revocation of your consent to process personal data/sensitive personal data provided may result in VMS being unable to provide you with effective and continuous products and services.
What types of personal data do we collect?
Personal data refers to any information that relates directly or indirectly to an individual, who is identified or identifiable from that information or from that and other information in the possession of VMS, including any sensitive personal data and expression of opinion about the individual.
The types of personal data we collect may include, but is not limited to your name, identity card number, address, email address, valuer’s registration number, other contact details, age, occupation, financial information such as your credit card details, identity card or passport, credit history and your transaction history.
The personal data we collect can be either obligatory or voluntary. Obligatory personal data are those that we require in order to provide you with our products and services. If you do not provide us with obligatory personal data, we would not be able to provide you with our products and services. Voluntary personal data are those that are not mandatory in order for us to provide you with our products and services. If you do not provide us with voluntary personal data, you can still sign up for our products and services. Obligatory and voluntary personal data differ for each products and services and will be indicated in the application forms.
If you provide us personal data of another person, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can: (i) give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data; (ii) receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices; and (iii) warrant that you have obtained his/her consent for us to process his/her personal data.
How do we collect your personal data
We obtain your personal data in various ways, such as:
- When you or your authorised representative sign up at VMS websites.
- When you contact VMS through various methods such as application forms, emails and letters, telephone calls and conversations you have with our staff. If you contact us or we contact you using telephone, we may monitor or record the phone call for quality assurance, training and security purposes.
- From our analysis of your transactions.
- When you participate in customer surveys or when you sign up for any of our competitions or promotions.
- When we obtain any data and information from third parties.
- When you enter into any commercial transactions with VMS including but not limited to you providing goods and/or services or your professional services;
- From publicly available sources.
An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you signed up with an Internet service provider. When you visit our website, your IP address is automatically logged in our server. We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our website.
From your IP address, we may identify the general geographic area from which you are accessing our website. Generally we do not link your IP address to anything that can enable us to identify you unless it is required by law and regulation.
Information on Cookies
Please refer to your browser documentation to check if cookies have been enabled on your computer or to request not to receive cookies.
We may provide links to third party sites or content. We are not responsible for any information collection or privacy practices or the content of those third party sites. You are encouraged to read and understand privacy practices or policies adopted by those third party sites or content providers.
What is the purpose of processing your personal data?
- We may process your personal data for the following reasons:
- To verify your eligibility.
- To send bills and receipts.
- To assess your application for any of our products and services.
- To verify your financial standing through credit reference checks.
- To manage and maintain your account and provide you with user support.
- To respond to your enquiries and complaints and to resolve disputes, or for investigation of complaints and suspicious transactions
- To provide, maintain, protect and improve our services, to develop new services and to protect ourselves and our users.
- For internal functions such as evaluating the effectiveness of marketing, market research, statistical analysis and modelling, reporting, audit and risk management and to prevent fraud.
- In addition, we may also use your personal data for the fulfilment of any regulatory requirements and for any other reasons connected with providing you the services you require and fulfilment of any commercial transactions entered into by you with VMS.
From time to time, we may share your personal data with other entities within VMS, our agents or strategic partners and other third parties ("other entities") as VMS deems fit and you may receive marketing communication from us or from these other entities about products and services that may be of interest to you.
If you no longer wish to receive these marketing communications, please notify us to withdraw your consent and we will stop processing and sharing your personal data with these other entities for the purpose of sending you marketing communications. You have a choice to withdraw your consent for receiving marketing or promotional materials/communication, you may contact us using the contact details found below.
Please be aware that once we receive confirmation that you wish to withdraw your consent for marketing or promotional materials/communication, it may take up to fourteen (14) working days for your withdrawal to be reflected in our systems. Therefore, you may still receive marketing or promotional materials/communication during this period of time. Please note that even if you opt out from receiving marketing or promotional materials, VMS may still contact you for other purposes in relation to the accounts or services that you hold or have subscribed to with VMS.
To whom do we disclose your personal data
Your personal data held by us shall be kept confidential. However, in order to provide you with effective and continuous products and services and to comply with any legal and regulatory requirements, we may need to disclose your personal data to:
- Directors, officers, or employees within our group of companies including our parent company, subsidiary, associate or affiliate.
- Credit reference agencies.
- Our agents, service providers, professional advisers and potential investors
- Financial service providers.
- Our merchants and strategic partners.
- Parties authorised by you.
- Enforcement regulatory and governmental agencies as permitted or required by law, authorised by any order of court or to meet obligations to regulatory authorities.
- Any authority or third party in connection with an investigation of a claim of fraud, infringement, slander, libel or other unlawful activity.
The disclosure of your data may involve the transfer of your personal data to places outside of Malaysia, and by providing us your personal data you agree to such a transfer where it is required to provide you the services you have requested, and for the performance of any contractual obligations you have with VMS including for storage purposes.
Review and Modification
You may add, modify or update your personal data by accessing the “My Account” page (or any feature with equivalent function). It is your responsibility to ensure that the information that you have on our platform is the most up-to-date information as possible. You may also contact us directly in order to access, modify or update your personal data. However, we reserve the right to decline to process requests which may jeopardise the security and privacy of personal data of another person as well as requests which are impractical or not made in good faith. When you elect to limit our right to process your personal data, you may contact us in writing. For avoidance of doubt, the limitation does not include processing of mandatory personal data and processing for the primary purpose(s) for which the personal data was provided.
How do we protect your data
The security of your personal data is our priority. VMS takes all physical, technical and organisational measures needed to ensure the security and confidentiality of your personal data. If we disclose any of your personal data to our authorised agents or service providers, we will require them to appropriately safeguard the personal data provided to them.
How long may we retain your personal data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose(s) for which it was collected or to comply with legal, regulatory and internal requirements. Afterwards we will destruct or permanently delete your data.
Change to Policy
How you can contact us about privacy questions